Monday, June 11, 2007

Breaking character

If anyone has been following this blog, you'll have noticed the extreme lack of activity. I blame this on procrastination, and the fact that I've switched from Windows XP to Vista. (Warning, rant ahead)

<rant>
Nikon Capture NX, which is what I use to convert RAW files to JPEG and also *coughs* perform my limited repertoire of image manipulation, on its own installs fine on Vista, however you will need to install .NET Framework 1.1 first, because Microsoft smartly decided to exclude 1.1 from Vista. Hell.

After weeks of hair-pulling and visits to Aaron Stebner's blog, I finally found the cure. Nevermind that it took me so long to find the link, what I really wanna know is:
  • why can't MS bloody fix the framework install if there are so many known issues, or include 1.1 as part of Vista, and
  • whether there's a need for NX to be tied down to the 1.1 Framework. Out of the 20 odd dll files, less than half contain CLR code, out of which, all are GUI-related or wrappers to unmanaged code. Surely it can't be that hard to uncouple the dependency on 1.1??


</rant>
Anyway, now that things have been fixed, expect to have a few more updates over the next couple of weeks, work permitting, of course =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't .net 2.0 (and the more recently 3.0) backwards compatible with 1.1? I'm sure 2.0 is shipped with Vista.

Ah well, the oddity that is Windows. :)

Anonymous said...

isn't .net 2.0 (and the more recent 3.0) backwards compatible with 1.1? I'm sure 2.0 shipped with Vista.

Ah well, the oddity that is Windows. :)

*corrected minor grammatical errors. 3-fucking-AM I need sleep.

SC said...

well it's not... MS tried to ensure compatibility between 1,1 and 2.0, but there were some breaking changes, so it's not fully backward compatible.

Most 1.1 apps have no problem running on 2.0, it's just that certain 1.1 app installers detect specifically for version 1.1, and will not do if it's anything else. :P